Sprints for 2024

Marathon and Sprint information for the 2024 season
Yeti
Registered FB member from 2023

Re: Sprints for 2024

Post by Yeti »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:57 pm
Yeti wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:51 pm Sorry, but why should one take a part in a race, that's rules are not known even by the promoter Tim ?
Hi

I thought you take part in the FB Challenges, because you like some competition and you want to help the projects?
Yeti wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:51 pm For a competition you should know the rules before the competition starts and as I have shown upside the first sprint has not been calculated as the official-rules (postet by Tim) say.

So, yes, I want to know the sprint-rules for 2024 before the next sprint starts ! And I think, everybody should know the correct rules.

Yeti
As I already said to you: I have asked Sebastien as to why a change has been made to the daily stats being displayed.

I am awaiting an answer on this. So you need to be patient until I find out - as you must remember that Sebastien has to work and so do I...I am not here 24/7, I do not get paid for doing this and nor does Sebastien. So, be patient and we can resolve this question you have asked.

regards
Tim
Tim,

I have responded to an answer of JeromeC. His answer let me think he didn't understand what I have requested for. As I never requested to get the Project-Info earlier as he mentioned.

I didn't want to attack you, I understand, that you are doing a great job, I only wanted to reminder because the next Sprint-Start is less more than 24 hours ahead and we should get clearness before the Sprint starts

Yeti
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Yeti wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:10 pm Tim,

I have responded to an answer of JeromeC. His answer let me think he didn't understand what I have requested for. As I never requested to get the Project-Info earlier as he mentioned.

I didn't want to attack you, I understand, that you are doing a great job, I only wanted to reminder because the next Sprint-Start is less more than 24 hours ahead and we should get clearness before the Sprint starts

Yeti
Hiya

No problem.

I think we are all here for the same good reason and I totally understand your questions and your need to have a clear idea about the rules.

But from my side, we are dealing with some changes that Sebastien has had to implement in the website design and the back-office coding, as in due course, it is likely that he will take on more of a back seat position and many areas need to be updated since i offered to take over as admin.

Plus, this forum is in English language and so I also recognise that English is not everyone's first language...so, there can be small misunderstandings that can occur due to interpretations of grammar.

regards
Tim
entity

Post by entity »

Why do users and teams have points 30 minutes into the Sprint? Shouldn't the first update happen 1 hour in?
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

entity wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:34 pm Why do users and teams have points 30 minutes into the Sprint? Shouldn't the first update happen 1 hour in?
Hi

Quick answer: I don't know (as I am not in control of the scheduling of when updates take place and how they are processed).

Longer answer: The last update of stats from this project, was at 18:15:47 UTC

The next update was due at 19:45 UTC which took place and the next update was at 20:00 UTC.

BUT I have no idea if the project stats XML file was any different or even if it was up to date (compared to the 18:15 update).

So, I am flummoxed as to why *any* stats were displayed.

In the meantime, I shall make enquiries ! (although I doubt it will make any real difference to the final outcome of the Sprint placings in each League).

regards
Tim
megacruncher

Post by megacruncher »

There were points on the board just 20 minutes in.
But... not a great deal seems to have changed in the last 2 hours.
Possibly the A@H server is a little stressed. The site certainly was very slow when I checked my account a little while back.
entity

Post by entity »

I suspect those were teams/users who were running A@H prior to the start of the sprint. Don't understand how it happened since this isn't the first sprint ever run but it is what it is.... It wasn't a huge number of points. The A@H website definitely has been slow and I have had multiple timeouts trying to reach it but it will eventually respond if you are persistent.
UBT - wbiz

Post by UBT - wbiz »

I think FB imports every 15 mins but it is then dependent on what the project export update frequency is and whether there is a timeout while attempting an import.

As @megacruncher amd @entity has said, the Asteroids website is incredibly slow, the attempts at imports could easily be timing out.
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

Thanks for all your kindly remarks and feedback.

I'm working remotely today and tomorrow so I don't have as much access to "stuff" compared to if I was at work or at home.

Clearly, stats acquisition is dependent on each of the supported projects being accessible and that all the data captured can be processed and then displayed on the FB website. And if the sequence of processes gets interrupted (some of which is outside of FBs control) then it can have consequences...

Hopefully it'll settle down and the actual "extra" credits that were displayed a few minutes into the Sprint is not significant enough to warrant a full scale investigation, though it would be nice to find out how these seemed to have been displayed in advance of the normal "hourly" update, as in theory, just seconds into the Sprint, all the credits should have been at zero !

And as of posting this, the Sprint stats do not appear to have been updated much for over 3 hours...so, the slowness of the project website could be a significant factor in all of this.

PS: Looking at the Free-DC stats page here:

https://stats.free-dc.org/proj/ast#select

shows this:
Asteroids@Home - Project Overview
Last Checked : Wed Mar 06, 16:54:34 2024 GMT
Data Updated : Wed Mar 06, 14:36:45 2024 GMT
Current Time: Wed Mar 06, 22:46:19 2024 GMT
So, clearly there IS an issue with the project website and it's ability to deal with stats requests.

regards
Tim
entity

Post by entity »

Hence, my earlier comment about admins need to worry about more than just downloads.....
JeromeC

Post by JeromeC »

It seems stats are back, aren't they ?