Regarding 2024

Section where non-members/guests can read news about Formula BOINC
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Re: Regarding 2024

Post by UBT - Timbo »

jave808 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:52 pm Hi Tim

Any update on the transfer of info from Sebastian to yourself? Will FB run in 2024?

Jave
Hi

Thanks for the message.

I have heard from Sebastien (since he announced on the FB website that FB would NOT run in 2024) and he is going to re-write some of the coding so that FB *will* be able to take place "in the near future".

But I have no timescale on this, so perhaps it might be that we run a mini-Marathon and a selection of Sprints in 2024?...and then see how it goes for the following year(s).

I do not want to put Sebastien under any pressure to make the amendments quickly, so once all is ready I will advise the membership :-)

regards
Tim
entity
Registered FB member from 2023

Post by entity »

Instead of messing around with Sebastian (who I'm not sure really wants to continue with Formula Boinc), why don't we all move to Boinc Games? Newer and probably not quite ready for prime time yet but would it be any worse than what we have here? (boincgames.com). Essentially the same format as Formula Boinc.
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

entity wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:45 am Instead of messing around with Sebastian (who I'm not sure really wants to continue with Formula Boinc), why don't we all move to Boinc Games? Newer and probably not quite ready for prime time yet but would it be any worse than what we have here? (boincgames.com). Essentially the same format as Formula Boinc.
Hi

I think BOINC Games (BG) have come across a lot of issues themselves, as I have helped them (by way of giving a reference) with a web developer who I thought would be able to fix the issues they had with both their website *and* their forum.

At least here, the forum works correctly and the FB stats "back-office" coding works well pretty much 99% of the time.

But volunteers are free to choose who they want to support and which projects to crunch for and when.

And there is absolutely no reason why volunteers cannot support both the FB Sprints as well as the BG Sprints, as they are based upon different sports and which take place on different dates so the Sprints do not usually clash most of the time - and when they do, I liaise with the BG admins so we do not both choose the same project !

And both the FB Marathon and the BG equivalent are based on team stats for each project so teams can take part in both !

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

Sebastien has updated many parts of the FB website and we are now going LIVE on 28th February with the FIRST Sprint of 2024.

So, I hope you will join with me in thanking Sebastien for his hard work at updating the website and allowing this website to continue to support the many worthy BOINC projects and at the same time for us all to have some friendly competition and and maybe some fun?

And I hope we can get more members and more teams to be involved...and this will just make it harder for TSBT to keep winning everything !! 8-)

regards and keep on crunching !
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

Please read this (in French) on the L'Alliance Francophone website from Sebastien:

https://forum.boinc-af.org/index.php/to ... 0.230.html

The English translation is as follows:
Formula BOINC 2024 will start on February 28 and a first sprint is planned for February 29.
Teams and users registered last year are automatically registered and divided into three divisions based on the 2023 ranking. It is possible to register for those who wish.

The backend and the frontend have been completely rewritten to no longer depend on the internal stats of the AF [website].

Timbo has access keys to phpmyadmin and ftp server. From now on, it will be he who will administer the site.

A test competition is underway and a sprint is planned next weekend. This [test] competition will be cancelled before the start of the 2024 season.
I am hopeful that we can get off to a good start with the Test Sprint which starts 23rd Feb until 25th Feb (the same days as the F1 Test sessions).

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

I am very grateful to Patrick from SETI.Germany for posting news about Formula BOINC 2024 on their members forum.

If you want to read this, it is here:

https://www.seti-germany.de/forum/threa ... BOINC-2024

(in German, but some browsers can translate to your local language easily).

So far I have not been advised of any further promotional activity from any other team, (EXCEPT for UK BOINC Team for which i am the admin and on the l'Alliance Francophone forum too).

If *your* team has mentioned Formula BOINC 2024 on your teams forum or website, please let me know :-)

regards
Tim