Sprints 2024 - timetable and projects selected

Marathon and Sprint information for the 2024 season
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Re: Sprints 2024 - timetable and projects selected

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

The issue of obtaining stats (to populate the FB Sprint #12 web page) as well as members having easy access to the Asteroids website is still causing problems.

I have reported this on the Asteroids messageboard - see here:

https://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/forum ... ostid=8472

And as well as messaging one of the Asteroids admins. So hopefully someone can fix this and the Sprint can continue and that by Sunday some useful stats will be accessible.

regards
Tim
vaughan
Registered FB member from 2023

Post by vaughan »

I find the site is hard to add a new computer but eventually it works. Quite hard to get tasks to crunch.
UBT - wbiz

Post by UBT - wbiz »

Thank's Tim, your message appears to have triggered some action.

Something improved with the Asteroids server last night, prior to that I was getting a crazy amount of errors of every type imaginable and was just about to throw the towel in.

It probably doesn't help that they are using Debian Jessie whose last update happened before their CPU was released, I don't know what kernel version they are using, it might be more recent than the OS and support their CPU.
Tamagoch

Post by Tamagoch »

I believe with this sprint I should have calculated my points by myself... the competition looks compromized to me :cry:
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Tamagoch wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:13 pm I believe with this sprint I should have calculated my points by myself... the competition looks compromized to me :cry:
Hi

It is NOT the competition that is compromised, but the project website, which despite being given advance warning that the project had been randomly selected, I was informed that there would be no issues with tasks, and sadly, the fact is that the project admins did not ensure that the stats would be available 24/7 to be exported.

As well as contacting an admin directly, I also left a message on their messageboard here (on 5 Jul 2024, 13:15:43 UTC)

https://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/forum ... hp?id=1033

which does not seem to have resulted in any remedial action to resolve the access to the website stats (or any other part of the website for that matter).

And sadly, FB is NOT responsible for any BOINC project inability to keep their websites accessible and in good order.

Of course what this does imply is that Asteroids will not be chosen again for a Sprint, UNLESS they can give better reassurances that they will not be compromising FB teams and members in the future.

regards
Tim
Tamagoch

Post by Tamagoch »

That makes us successful at stress-testing Asteroids@home. Thanks, Tim!
I'll think of it from a positive perspective: FB and its participants are doing a great job even if the event wasn't 100% perfect ;)
Greatful to be a part of it.
JeromeC

Post by JeromeC »

This is clearly not a complete failure ! we had stats and ranking and all, and corresponding points for FB, so it's cool !

Thanks for your continued efforts Tim :jap:
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Tamagoch wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:52 am That makes us successful at stress-testing Asteroids@home. Thanks, Tim!
I'll think of it from a positive perspective: FB and its participants are doing a great job even if the event wasn't 100% perfect ;)
Greatful to be a part of it.
Hi

Yes, agreed that the Sprint event can be helpful to project admins (for stress-testing etc) but on the other hand it an also be a pain in the a$$ as it also stresses the server and bandwidth and can cause problems that do not occur under normal day to day activity.

This is why I prefer to give projects (in advance) the option to be excluded, if their project is chosen.

But I am happy that many completed tasks were uploaded, even if the stats tables did not include every last BOINC credit that was earned between the event start and ending times - although it was the same for everybody so, it was reasonably fair in therms of final league positions.

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

JeromeC wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:07 am This is clearly not a complete failure ! we had stats and ranking and all, and corresponding points for FB, so it's cool !

Thanks for your continued efforts Tim :jap:
Hiya

Yes, overall it was more of a success than a failure, so as long as FB members were able to download tasks and finish them within the deadline, the project will be the main beneficiary from the Sprint event.

And the FB points are nice to have but of course in the real world they are meaningless...the *real* winners are those members and teams who like a challenge and want to take part and help each chosen Sprint project and to give them a boost at various times during the year.

I appreciate your thanks, but I do this as it needs to be done, so I think it is my own challenge to keep it running and in a professional and straight forward way. 8-)

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

I have made contact with the Project Admin at the randomly selected project for Sprint #13.

I await confirmation that their server will be able to cope with the expected high number of task downloads once the Sprint starts.

regards
Tim