Sprints 2024 - timetable and projects selected

Marathon and Sprint information for the 2024 season
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Re: Sprints 2024 - timetable and projects selected

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

I have made contact with the Project Admin at the randomly selected project for Sprint #3

Every league has the same project during each sprint, no matter which League each Team is in.

I await confirmation that their server will be able to cope with the expected high number of task downloads once the Sprint starts.

regards
Tim
JeromeC
Registered FB member from 2023

Post by JeromeC »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:29 pm The following is the list of "selectable" projects that have already chosen (so far):

Projects already selected this year (in alphabetical order):

Code: Select all

Asteroids@home - #2 Sprint
NumberFields - #1 Sprint
PrimeGrid - Test Sprint
Other possible Sprint projects - which are yet to be chosen, though some may NOT be chosen mainly due to tasks not always being available from them (also alphabetical order):

Amicable Numbers		
Einstein@Home
Gerasim
GPUGRID
iThena.Computational
LHC@home
MilkyWay@home
Moo! Wrapper
NFS@Home
PRIVATE GFN SERVER
RakeSearch
Rosetta@home
SiDock@home
SRBase
The Ramanujan Machine
TN-Grid
Universe@Home
World Community Grid
yoyo@home
Hi Tim

on the FB marathon page :

Amicable Numbers
Asteroids@home
DENIS@home
Einstein@Home
Gerasim@home
GPUGRID
iThena.Computational
LHC@home
MilkyWay@home
Moo! Wrapper
NFS@Home
NumberFields@home
ODLK
ODLK1
PrimeGrid
PRIVATE GFN SERVER
RakeSearch
Rosetta@home
SiDock@home
SRBase
The Ramanujan Machine
TN-Grid
Universe@Home
World Community Grid
YAFU
yoyo@home
So these 4 are not mentioned in your list :

DENIS@home
ODLK
ODLK1
YAFU

Why ? not enough task generally available ? but then why list them on the marathon page ? because "enough for the marathon but not enough for a sprint" ?
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

JeromeC wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:23 pm So these 4 are not mentioned in your list :

DENIS@home
ODLK
ODLK1
YAFU

Why ? not enough task generally available ? but then why list them on the marathon page ? because "enough for the marathon but not enough for a sprint" ?
Hiya

The problem that has occurred in previous years is that:
a) In the case of DENIS, they do not have tasks available ALL the time and when they do, there are not many.
b) In the case of ODLK, ODLK1 and YAFU, their server infrastructure does not have enough resilience to withstand the high demands from a Sprint - this has been proved in the past when one of these projects was chosen...and the server stopped responding due to being overloaded.

And there was a lot of FB member outrage that they could not get tasks or that they could not be uploaded.

So, these are more than adequate for a long term Challenge like a Marathon, over the course of a year, but for maybe 3-4 days of high demand crunching, these projects would suffer significantly. And of course, sometimes other CPU-based projects have fewer tasks available so it is possible for FB members to choose one of these 3 projects as a backup, so as to keep their hosts active.

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

So, the original project chosen at random for this weekends Sprint has NOT replied after I sent both of their admins an advance notification of their project being selected.

With just 12 hours to go, the back-up project has now been selected and their admin has been contacted. So, I am hopeful that they are able to confirm their server will have enough tasks for the Sprint.

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

The project selected for Sprint #3 is SRBase

I am grateful to Rebirther, the SRBase admin, for stepping in at very short notice to replace the originally selected project, who to give them credit, did actually contact me but with less than 12 hours to go before the start, and by then it was too late to go with them.

So, good luck everyone.

regards
Tim
JeromeC

Post by JeromeC »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:11 pm
JeromeC wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:23 pm So these 4 are not mentioned in your list :

DENIS@home
ODLK
ODLK1
YAFU

Hiya

The problem that has occurred in previous years is that:
a) In the case of DENIS, they do not have tasks available ALL the time and when they do, there are not many.
b) In the case of ODLK, ODLK1 and YAFU, their server infrastructure does not have enough resilience to withstand the high demands from a Sprint - this has been proved in the past when one of these projects was chosen...and the server stopped responding due to being overloaded.

And there was a lot of FB member outrage that they could not get tasks or that they could not be uploaded.

So, these are more than adequate for a long term Challenge like a Marathon, over the course of a year, but for maybe 3-4 days of high demand crunching, these projects would suffer significantly. And of course, sometimes other CPU-based projects have fewer tasks available so it is possible for FB members to choose one of these 3 projects as a backup, so as to keep their hosts active.

regards
Tim
OK clear, thanks.
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

I have made contact with the Project Admin at the randomly selected project for Sprint #4.

Every league has the same project during each sprint, no matter which League each Team is in.

I await confirmation that their server will be able to cope with the expected high number of task downloads once the Sprint starts.

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

The 4th FB Sprint starts on 4th April at 08:00 UTC and runs until 7th April at the same time.

No issues are expected (according to the project admins) and so it should be a good Sprint with lots of tasks available :-)

It'll be interesting to see how well all the FB teams fare on this Challenge as there is another Sprint (organised by a different website) which takes place over the exact same weekend to hold their 2nd Sprint from 02:00 UTC on 5th April until the same time on 9th April.

I wonder if they will choose the same project...?

regards
Tim
JeromeC

Post by JeromeC »

"Another sprint on a different website" i.e. not a particular project website... ?
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

JeromeC wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:44 pm "Another sprint on a different website" i.e. not a particular project website... ?
Yes - there is another website, created by former volunteers of this website who decided to "do their own thing". But I prefer not to name them directly, even though I am on friendly terms with their admin team.

And I have no problem with having some competition, as in the end, the main beneficiaries are the projects who we are all trying to help?

regards
Tim