Sprints 2024 - timetable and projects selected

Marathon and Sprint information for the 2024 season
Frank [RKN]
Registered FB member from 2023

Re: Sprints 2024 - timetable and projects selected

Post by Frank [RKN] »

In my database on Asteroids I see valid tasks from January 16, 2024. Of course, if you store the results for so long,
you end up with a very large - and slow - database.
To make matters worse, there are still normal hard drives and no SSDs in use. With Quorum 2, it's not really a sprint project.

Tim, you're really doing a great job here, the above are just my thoughts when I see the same stats for hours... ;)
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Yeti wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:03 pm Okay, so for your next Pre-Flight-Checklist: Ask the Admin for a contact-way outside the message-boards for situations like this
Hiya

Yup - it might even be a better idea to pre-announce the chosen projects (to the projects themselves) some time in advance so that projects can make 100% sure that their server(s) is/are up and running and if they are not, then the FB admin (Sebastien or myself) are given notice that a certain date is not suitable for the project and so, the dates can be changed to suit (or a different project is selected).

This would then be very much like the F1 calendar where races are scheduled some time before.

The only difference being that FB would only announce the chosen project name on the day the Sprint started. ;-)

In the meantime, I've emailed the Asteroids project admin, Josef Durech, and hopefully he can do something about it ?

UPDATE:
I've just seen the FB log file for the stats collection (from Asteroids project) and it says:
2024-03-07 14:46:41 UTC : Unable to get file tables.xml
So, this is why the Sprint #2 page on the FB website has not updated for some time. :shock:

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Frank [RKN] wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:10 pm In my database on Asteroids I see valid tasks from January 16, 2024. Of course, if you store the results for so long,
you end up with a very large - and slow - database.
To make matters worse, there are still normal hard drives and no SSDs in use. With Quorum 2, it's not really a sprint project.

Tim, you're really doing a great job here, the above are just my thoughts when I see the same stats for hours... ;)
Hi

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I recall a few projects that had big issues in the past when their database would get clogged up - SETI@home was one that would slow down or stall very regularly and some time was needed to clear the log-jam and get things running again.

You make a valid point about the quorum, but it is what it is.

The quorum side of things might make things more tricky, as if any Sprint is restricted to tasks where quorum is "1" then there may be fewer projects to choose from...and already there are now fewer projects that are active than as been the case in the past.

In the end we just need to be a bit patient and do what we can in the circumstances (as, in theory, it's the same for everyone).

regards
Tim
JeromeC

Post by JeromeC »

On a positive note : tasks are actually crunched, they get uploaded and don't get stuck in boinc client, with my limited resources (14 cores on asteroids) I still have plenty to crunch, so it's mainly about when the credits will be actually validated and you'll be able to get the stats from the website, so it's mainly adding a nice suspense to this sprint :D
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

JeromeC wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:52 pm On a positive note : tasks are actually crunched, they get uploaded and don't get stuck in boinc client, with my limited resources (14 cores on asteroids) I still have plenty to crunch, so it's mainly about when the credits will be actually validated and you'll be able to get the stats from the website, so it's mainly adding a nice suspense to this sprint :D
Hiya

That is great news as I could not find out from anyone if there were any task issues, as I still have NO Asteroids tasks on my hosts, so while this continues my back-up project is ticking over (on 0 resource share so once any Asteroids tasks *are* available, BOINC Manager will start crunching them) !

I am hopeful that other FB members are having the same experience as you and that they have tasks and we must wait for the project to award credits when it can and of course for the credit stats to be exported in good time. :-)

regards
Tim
entity

Post by entity »

Tasks are being crunched, validated and awarded points at Asteroids@Home. I can see this in the Boinc client projects page. The user points are updated every time the scheduler contacts the server. The only thing not happening right is the stats export function. Well, that was true until 0000 UTC Mar 8. Now uploads are getting HTTP errors.
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

entity wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:40 am Tasks are being crunched, validated and awarded points at Asteroids@Home. I can see this in the Boinc client projects page. The user points are updated every time the scheduler contacts the server. The only thing not happening right is the stats export function. Well, that was true until 0000 UTC Mar 8. Now uploads are getting HTTP errors.
Hi

OK - thanks for the extra info - very useful 8-)

I can see from the admin side of the FB stats website that the script (to collect the exported stats XML data) is trying to get the data, but that no stats are being returned.

So, I hope this is going to be corrected in due course by the project admins.

I've not had an email reply yet from the Asteroids Project admin, but maybe that will happen later today (Friday 8th March)?

regards
Tim
csbyseti
Registered FB member from 2024

Post by csbyseti »

No uploads anymore and the Browser don't want to open https://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/:

Errorcode: SEC_ERROR_EXPIRED_CERTIFICATE

Shit happens often at right time :cry:
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

One of the Asteroids admins, Georgi Vidinski, posted on the Asteroids Discord channel that their web server has had another DDOS attack.

asteroids-ddos-attack-11-march-2024.jpg
asteroids-ddos-attack-11-march-2024.jpg (135.65 KiB) Viewed 1488 times

There is no announcement (yet) of which IP address the attack came from...

So, is it a coincidence that someone else is affecting their server, or is it the same miscreant?

At least the attack does not appear to have gone on for a long time...but there are some spikes every few hours (apart from the main attack around 8am on 11th March !).

regards
Tim
marsinp

Post by marsinp »

Hello Timbo ,
Yes I am still alive ! My body , my eyes......
I now need someone to click on the right place. I can write , I know enough my keyboard . Lol
I am very , very ,...very disappointed about the one who took me over.
Boinc.be , little in first league , now lower in third than ever ! Of course electrical costs change our way of crunching....
So all who known me , and my, not always easy character, I send you my best greetings.
You want to contact me , please , use first PM , then I will send you my private mail.
Long life to BOINC and SETIBZH
Philippe
The one who took over from the " old " real founder of BOINC.BE , (BAT) TUTTA .
Me , who also transfered my title to (BAT) Svenemans , who nothing do . I try to take again over....
Best regards everyone.