Sprints for 2024

Marathon and Sprint information for the 2024 season
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Re: Sprints for 2024

Post by UBT - Timbo »

entity wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:43 am Hence, my earlier comment about admins need to worry about more than just downloads.....
Hiya

Yes, you are right...but I and many others are not privvy to such information about how a project website is running and at what speed all of it's functions are operating at. And no project admin is ever going to give out ANY information about how well their website is running.

The only ways I have of checking if a project is suitable for a Sprint is:

1) Contact the admins in advance and hope they reply - some do not :?
2) Keep an eye out for any advance warning of any maintenance that will be carried out
3) Check the project website to ensure that there are plenty of tasks available
4) Check that multiple users/teams are being awarded BOINC credits in the last 24/48/72 hours
5) Keep my fingers crossed that all will be well, light a candle, say a prayer, cross my fingers, find a four leaved clover, hope a black cat does not walk in front of me, and never, ever walk under a ladder. !!

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

JeromeC wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:48 am It seems stats are back, aren't they ?
Hi

Yes, it looks like some higher BOINC credits are now being displayed.

However, the Free-DC status for the Asteroids project still shows this:
Asteroids@Home - Project Overview
Last Checked : Thu Mar 07, 04:09:54 2024 GMT
Data Updated : Wed Mar 06, 13:56:23 2024 GMT <<<<<<<<<<<<
Current Time: Thu Mar 07, 09:55:52 2024 GMT
So, maybe the FB data import was luckier compared to how Free-DC get their stats?

And the project website homepage is VERY slow, but at least the server status page is accessible here:

https://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/server_status.php

and there are many tasks available and in progress - with the data having been updated at:
Task data as of 7 Mar 2024, 9:15:09 UTC
Somehow, I don't think we are seeing the full story as many users have not been awarded any credits in the last few hours.

I just hope that the Asteroids website admins get it sorted out quickly.

regards
Tim
scole of TSBT

Post by scole of TSBT »

I call shenanigans (not by the FB admins)

It's possible this is having some affect on the project https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68478828

I put my money on shenanigans though. Not the first time there was interference. They just chose a target other than the FB server
Last edited by scole of TSBT on Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
entity
Registered FB member from 2023

Post by entity »

And if things weren't bad enough, we have gone through almost half (about 42% so far) of the available work that is ready to send and we haven't even been processing a whole day yet. Based upon comments in the message boards prior to the website becoming clogged, it takes a couple of days to get new tasks. Let's see if they planned ahead.
UBT - wbiz

Post by UBT - wbiz »

scole of TSBT wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:17 pm I call shenanigans (not by the FB admins)

It's possible this is having some affect on the project https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68478828

I put my money on shenanigans though. Not the first time there was interference. They just chose a target other than the FB server
I have some suspicions about nefarious behaviours as well.

On previous years during sprints/challenges I have occasionally seen computers downloading large amounts of tasks without getting any credits for that project (or in some cases, no credits for any projects). The user names were usually anonymous although I did see one or two names, one had never been active again when I checked a month or two later - yes, someone's computer may have gone up in smoke, its difficult to know.
megacruncher

Post by megacruncher »

Whether it’s shenanigans or just a poorly specced server the situation is bad.
There seems to have been at least one update during the night but nothing further in the last at least 14 hrs.
Yes, people are getting work, crunching it, uploading it, & as it validates, getting credit for themselves and their teams: But FB can’t access that information so it’s like we are racing in the dark.
I don’t see that A@H can do much to rectify the situation in the next 45 hrs, so the only hope is that the pressure on the server eases (surely everyone will have downloaded enough work by now?) and Seb’s scripts are able to scrape the required data without timing out.
Oh, and Asteroids should be removed from the sprint whitelist.
davidBAM1

Post by davidBAM1 »

Could be a DDOS
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

davidBAM1 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:39 pm Could be a DDOS
Hiya

I now see this (as of 1am UTC):
Privacy error
Your connection is not private
NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID
from my Brave browser, when trying to visit the Asteroids project website.

So, maybe there are some bigger issues going on, that are at least affecting the http/https port of the server?

Why this might be, I have no idea - but it certainly seems to me to be either coincidence (that this is happening within hours of the start of the Sprint) or sabotage. !!

Maybe we'll find out in due course, once the website is accessible again, as I assume the admins there will need to give some reason why it is not accessible?

regards
Tim
scole of TSBT

Post by scole of TSBT »

WU uploads and downloads did start to work for bit a few hours ago but it seems the project server is again being...cough cough..."stressed" :roll:
bill1024

Post by bill1024 »

I went to their website (using Opera) and got a message their certificate had expired and the site is not secure. It would not let me connect.
Then I tried with MS Edge got the same message but could of went ahead anyway at my own risk, but I declined to do so. Hope they fix it.