Regarding 2024

Section where non-members/guests can read news about Formula BOINC
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Re: Regarding 2024

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Michael H.W. Weber wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:25 pm Hi everyone,
I just registered to this forum to post a remark regarding this topic.

I am not sure whether you have also noticed this but a continuous smooth running of the Formula BOINC competition website is not only of importance to the website's project itself - to my opinion, over the years it has become of utmost importance to the ENTIRE BOINC community. It is kind of an institution for BOINCers. :mrgreen:
The "stuttering" last year caused many people in our team to stop participating in BOINC. That is actually a very bad trend for the sake of public science support if you note that nowadays BOINC even is used in place of HPCs to run general protein structure modeling as is the case for the professional Robetta modeling pipeline at Baker's lab.

So, my team and I would highly appreciate people who are willing to put efforts in keeping this whole thing up.

Michael.
Hi Michael

Thanks for your message and glad of your input.

To be honest there was only ONE instance of "stuttering" and that was due to the FB server and a bit of dodgy coding ...but it was fixed within half a day and the affected Sprint was restarted and carried on for the full 72 hours duration.

The Marathon has not been affected by any issues and carried on working every day for the whole year - although some stats for some projects were slightly out for a few hours at various times, but this may have been due to project website issues and whether the project stats could be accessed.

So, I would welcome more of your team to re-connect with FB, once we can get it working for 2024, or even 2025 but under new administration. And I would hope every BOINC project will be happy if we can continue to contribute volunteer resources to the projects that are deserving of our efforts. :-)

regard
Tim
(Forum admin and FB Sprint admin)
Michael H.W. Weber

Post by Michael H.W. Weber »

Well, I need to correct myself: With "last year" I did not mean 2023 but 2022. Somehow I still havn't yet arrived completely in 2024, I guess... :mrgreen:

Regarding help from our team: We have of course checked in advance whether there are people willing to help in our team but, unfortunately, it seems that we currently lack the expertise & time for such efforts.

Michael.
President of Rechenkraft.net
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Michael H.W. Weber wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:48 pm Well, I need to correct myself: With "last year" I did not mean 2023 but 2022. Somehow I still havn't yet arrived completely in 2024, I guess... :mrgreen:
Hi Michael

No problem !!
Michael H.W. Weber wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:48 pm Regarding help from our team: We have of course checked in advance whether there are people willing to help in our team but, unfortunately, it seems that we currently lack the expertise & time for such efforts.

Michael.
Well, individual members are still able to take part and can contribute, should they wish to (and that would generate credits for Rechenkraft team, which might be enough to earn FB points, IF enough BOINC credits are generated).

However, if you would prefer, I can simply delete Rechenkraft from being a team that is included within FB, if no one wants to support it (as there is no point collecting stats from a team that cannot be bothered to contribute willingly).

regards
Tim
n3Ro

Post by n3Ro »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:55 pm ...
Michael H.W. Weber wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:48 pm Regarding help from our team: We have of course checked in advance whether there are people willing to help in our team but, unfortunately, it seems that we currently lack the expertise & time for such efforts.

Michael.
Well, individual members are still able to take part and can contribute, should they wish to (and that would generate credits for Rechenkraft team, which might be enough to earn FB points, IF enough BOINC credits are generated).

However, if you would prefer, I can simply delete Rechenkraft from being a team that is included within FB, if no one wants to support it (as there is no point collecting stats from a team that cannot be bothered to contribute willingly).

regards
Tim
I think Michael meant contributing as in running the competition, not as in participating. There is no lack of expertise in participation ;)

Thx, n3Ro
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

n3Ro wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:12 pm I think Michael meant contributing as in running the competition, not as in participating. There is no lack of expertise in participation ;)

Thx, n3Ro
Hi

Many thanks for your feedback.

I was unsure *exactly* what Michael meant hence why I answered with a question, in order to clarify his comment.

In truth, I doubt I will be calling on any other teams to help with any transition from the current administration to a future situation, although I may call in help from individuals as and when needed.

It is still in the very early stages of how FB will evolve, so we just need to give it time for various stages to take place and see how it all works out. 8-)

regards
Tim
Michael H.W. Weber

Post by Michael H.W. Weber »

Of course I meant helping with coding, website administration, etc.
We will surely continue contributing to FB as we did all these years before - that was exactly the reason why I posted here to show that the project is of importance / value to us as a team and for BOINC / distributed computing in general.

Michael.
President of Rechenkraft.net
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Michael H.W. Weber wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:07 am Of course I meant helping with coding, website administration, etc.
We will surely continue contributing to FB as we did all these years before - that was exactly the reason why I posted here to show that the project is of importance / value to us as a team and for BOINC / distributed computing in general.

Michael.
Hi Michael

Thanks for the clarification - all is good so no worries !

regards
Tim
v-AMD

Post by v-AMD »

Tim,
I tried to register at your forum but I get an error in red text:

The email address you entered is not allowed to be used

Why not?
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

v-AMD wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:37 am Tim,
I tried to register at your forum but I get an error in red text:

The email address you entered is not allowed to be used

Why not?
Hi

This is most likely due to your email address being supplied by a domain name (such as gmail) which is being blocked by our anti-spam bot settings.

If you want to PM me (on this forum) with the domain name of your email provider, then I can check to see if this is being blocked and I can then remove the filter for a specific period of time so that you can register. :-)

Spam bots on forums have been an issue for many years, and over the last 20 years, the UBT forum has kept out spam bots by using filters. This does have an impact on real people registering, but it is a small price to pay in order to keep the forum relevant and not full of spam bots and/or ghost accounts.

regards and apologies for any inconvenience
Tim
jave808
Registered FB member

Post by jave808 »

Hi Tim

Any update on the transfer of info from Sebastian to yourself? Will FB run in 2024?

Jave