Regarding 2024

Section where non-members/guests can read news about Formula BOINC
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Re: Regarding 2024

Post by UBT - Timbo »

v-AMD wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:43 am Sad to read this on New Years Eve Tim. I thank you for your efforts.

Vaughan
Co-site admin
AMD Users distributed computing team
Hi

Thank for your kind message of support. I too am saddened by this especially give how Sebastien has deliberately left this announcement until the almost the last day before announcing this on the FB website AND NOT HERE on this forum.

If more notice was given an alternative scheme could have been designed and put in place...but this is almost impossible now. :( :( :(

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Tamagoch wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:41 am Hi everyone,

it is not natural for me as Ukrainian to surrender 8-) What else can we do?

I have the idea of similar project.
I've got the access to some hardware.
I have a place with a cheap electricity and relatively fast internet.
I think I'm able to build and host the new server and even assign a person for physical attendance.
All that for free.

Most important that we could need: website coding, server OS administration, website administration.
And what could we salvage from here? Or should we start complitely from scratch?

If we are able to create another competition, why shouldn't we try?
Hi

Thanks for your message. And to quote the famous phrase for the film Galaxy Quest "Never give up, never surrender!"

I think your idea is great. However to code the relevant instructions, from scratch, will take time so maybe this could take place starting in 2025, but to have all this created and then coded quickly (suitable for 2024) is not going to be easy.

Of course if Sebastien allows this domain name and all the code to be transferred to a new server, then this will save a lot of time, but we need Sebastien to agree to this first. I hope that a message can be sent to Sebastien and let us see if he agrees?

And if he does not, then we need a different plan !

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

Another consideration to think about

IF FB 2024 is NOT going ahead, then it raises question marks about the FB website and of course for THIS forum.

As it is quite possible that both could be shut down whenever Sebastien feels like doing so.

So, maybe we need to consider how active FB participants can stay in contact?

We can set up a Discord channel or it is also possible for you to join the UK BOINC Team forum (see link below) and I will set up an FB section especially for FB members to view the latest news about maybe al alternative website.

LINK REMOVED DUE TO A DDOSATTACKLAUNCHED FROM A NOW DISCOVERED IP ADDRESS !! WE ARE NOW ONTO YOU !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

So feel free to join the UBT forum, if you want !!! (Use Google to find it !!)

regards
Tim
Tamagoch
Registered FB member from 2023

Post by Tamagoch »

Hi Tim,

it's not so easy to join UK Team forum.
Three of my emails were rejected. Possible reason unknown, maybe non-UK or something else.

So many obstacles on such the early stages. Life of cruncher is cruel :D
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Tamagoch wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:29 pm Hi Tim,

it's not so easy to join UK Team forum.
Three of my emails were rejected. Possible reason unknown, maybe non-UK or something else.

So many obstacles on such the early stages. Life of cruncher is cruel :D
Hi

Thanks for your message.

Yes, there are various anti-spam measures in place to help prevent lots of bots from joining the UBT forum, so apologies for any inconvenience.

Please ping me a message (including your email address) either via this forum or via one of the project websites and I can fix it so your email address is accepted.

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

BREAKING NEWS

I've received a positive private message from Sebastien and it seems that he is willing to transfer admin duties to me, so that it is possible for FB to continue, perhaps on a new server.

It might take a while for this to happen: days, weeks, months, I do not know.

But it looks like FB can continue, once it has been tweaked and re-coded, and this is assuming FB members WANT to continue taking part?

regards
Tim
megacruncher

Post by megacruncher »

Thanks Tim.

A Happy New Year & thanks for all your efforts to keep the show on the road so far.
I certainly would want FB to continue & hopefully it will - although clearly there is going to be a hiatus now that the beginning of 2024 has been missed.
I'm not going to volunteer any technical help - not least because my technical skills are severely limited.
However like, I'm sure, many others, I'd be happy to chip in to cover any fresh hosting costs.

Many thanks once again for your hard work and also for the hope your message gives.

All the best,

Willie
Miklos M

Post by Miklos M »

Hey Tim:

Happy New Year.
Please accept my account into any and all challenges for 2024.

Thank you,

Miklos M.
JeromeC

Post by JeromeC »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:12 pm Hi all

BREAKING NEWS

I've received a positive private message from Sebastien and it seems that he is willing to transfer admin duties to me, so that it is possible for FB to continue, perhaps on a new server.

It might take a while for this to happen: days, weeks, months, I do not know.

But it looks like FB can continue, once it has been tweaked and re-coded, and this is assuming FB members WANT to continue taking part?

regards
Tim
Very happy to read this :) let's see how it goes, I think patience will be the main quality required for us all ;)
Michael H.W. Weber

Post by Michael H.W. Weber »

Hi everyone,
I just registered to this forum to post a remark regarding this topic.

I am not sure whether you have also noticed this but a continuous smooth running of the Formula BOINC competition website is not only of importance to the website's project itself - to my opinion, over the years it has become of utmost importance to the ENTIRE BOINC community. It is kind of an institution for BOINCers. :mrgreen:
The "stuttering" last year caused many people in our team to stop participating in BOINC. That is actually a very bad trend for the sake of public science support if you note that nowadays BOINC even is used in place of HPCs to run general protein structure modeling as is the case for the professional Robetta modeling pipeline at Baker's lab.

So, my team and I would highly appreciate people who are willing to put efforts in keeping this whole thing up.

Michael.
President of Rechenkraft.net