Sprints for 2022

A place to have discussions about the 2022 season of Formula BOINC
davidBAM1

Re: Sprints for 2022

Post by davidBAM1 »

Okay then, my suggestion is that each project provides an 'abort ratio' for each user : aborted WU over completed WU

The bad eggs will soon get sniffed out
[H]pututu

Post by [H]pututu »

The abort ratio will have to be implemented by the project admin. Not sure if FB organizer can do that other than one voluntarily divulge that ratio?
davidBAM1

Post by davidBAM1 »

Yes - I said the project would have to do that. I doubt if they give a toss TBH.

On your own post, Primegrid can't prevent bunkering on an FB challenge - only on their own challenges. Otherwise, an excellent post sir - even if I do consider electricity price to be enough of a handicap on its own
[H]pututu

Post by [H]pututu »

My big fat finger. Yes, PG challenge is what I meant ;)

On the abort ratio thing, this is tied to participant hiding their computers online. If the admin does that, no one can still see this and I don't think the admin wants to publicly humiliate their volunteers. Maybe one suggestion is get all participants to unhide their computers during FB sprint. That will address your concern :roll:
systemviper

Post by systemviper »

as much as I had to rant,

We still had a very exciting sprint.
Participation is good across the board.
And Electricity is damn expensive.

So it was another good sprint, I think we have to take time and enjoy the win.
SV
davidBAM1

Post by davidBAM1 »

[H]pututu wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:47 pm That will address your concern :roll:
Mine was a suggestion rather than a concern :roll: :roll:
[H]pututu wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:47 pm Maybe one suggestion is get all participants to unhide their computers during FB sprint.
Hell no. If I did that, my neighbour might find out that I crunched on her computer when she is out. ;)
PecosRiverM

Post by PecosRiverM »

With limits placed by some Projects on "How many wu's " you can get per thread. Changing the core count is needed to keep some systems busy.
Look at MilkyWay Limit 300 per GPU.. Running 3 or 4 on a Radeon VII this won't last long then you have to wait... For the next batch.
Some Limit you to 80 wu's per thread same problem run out of work too fast.
As for Bunkering Let's say I have a 8 thread system and someone else has a 32 thread system. (I'm cheap)
I need 4 hours to do what they can in 1 hour. So to have a chance I need to bunker or get a head start somehow. Some Teams just have more members. ie: This last "Sprint" 41 Members for P3D (https://stats.free-dc.org/team/eah/454), 20 Members for Ukraine (https://stats.free-dc.org/team/eah/22) and 13 for TSBT (https://stats.free-dc.org/team/eah/209)..
Each of us has to do what 3 or 4 members to equal what another Team is doing. That is the Challenge.
Some of us can't afford the Latest Greatest hardware and are making do with older and slower systems.

Sorry for my Bad Grammer (I hated English Class and Girls were starting to bud out)
Just Remember it's All a Game and sometimes bad things happen in Games..
We tried not to bring the Server to it's knee's (Cooler Heads prevailed on that) But it Happened.. Maybe we were totally to Blame maybe Not.. I don't know.
scole of TSBT

Post by scole of TSBT »

The BOINC Pentathlon will be starting in a couple weeks. Let's see if those who lobby against bunkering practice what they preach during the Pentathlon.
systemviper

Post by systemviper »

Shouldn't this conversation be more about what is going on and solving it.
I agree a lot of teams do this, I have done this but not to the extent that is going on in the sprint.

So your rational is you change what ever you need to get what you need?

Doesn't this extreme action violate the spirit of the Formula Boinc, not using standardized equipment
and also "deceiving" the computers to service your needs at the detriment of the smaller crunchers?

Shouldn't we all agree to just use our equipment "As is" and keep our rigs open to inspection "unhidden"
to insure that people are only using what they have and not "deceiving" the servers?

Unhide those computers 8-) Set your neighbor free :lol:
No more deception in the FB!
Who would this benefit?
Would it be more competitive?>

Comments Please :shock:

Enjoy the day
SV
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (17.47 KiB) Viewed 665 times
megacruncher

Post by megacruncher »

The problem with Unhiding your computers isn't exposing your hardware to scrutiny: it's letting other teams see your tasks. As well as giving away your bunkering tactics etc it allows others to sabotage your credit. If you upload WU X and I am your wingman for X then I just need to suspend work on X and you'll get no credit for it until after the sprint. Nasty but a historical reality.

Anyway, why isn't everyone congratulating TSBT? The sprint format was changed mainly because we were seen to be winning the sprints too easily. We seem to have adapted quite well.

And these are my end of sprint WU stats for Einstein:
All (22285)
In progress (3919)
Pending (1597)
Valid (16305)
Invalid (214)
Error (18)

The assertion that we are downloading and wasting work is not true.

Anyway enough.