A place to have discussions about the 2022 season of Formula BOINC
Cougarpelardou

I stop crunching russian projects

Post by Cougarpelardou »

Free Ukraine :jap:
Natalia Makarova

Re: I stop crunching russian projects

Post by Natalia Makarova »

"An open letter from scientists and scientific journalists against the war in Ukraine"
https://echo.msk.ru/blog/echomsk/2985101-echo/
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Natalia Makarova wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:48 pm "An open letter from scientists and scientific journalists against the war in Ukraine"
The English translation of the above is here:
We, Russian scientists and scientific journalists, declare a strong protest against the hostilities launched by the armed forces of our country on the territory of Ukraine. This fatal step leads to huge human losses and undermines the foundations of the established system of international security. The responsibility for unleashing a new war in Europe lies entirely with Russia.

There is no rational justification for this war. Attempts to use the situation in Donbass as a pretext for launching a military operation do not inspire any confidence. It is clear that Ukraine does not pose a threat to the security of our country. The war against her is unfair and frankly senseless.

Ukraine has been and remains a country close to us. Many of us have relatives, friends and scientific colleagues living in Ukraine. Our fathers, grandfathers and great-grandfathers fought together against Nazism. Unleashing a war for the sake of the geopolitical ambitions of the leadership of the Russian Federation, driven by dubious historiosophical fantasies, is a cynical betrayal of their memory.

We respect Ukrainian statehood, which rests on really working democratic institutions. We treat the European choice of our neighbors with understanding. We are convinced that all problems in relations between our countries can be resolved peacefully.

Having unleashed the war, Russia doomed itself to international isolation, to the position of a pariah country. This means that we, scientists, will no longer be able to do our job normally: after all, conducting scientific research is unthinkable without full cooperation with colleagues from other countries. The isolation of Russia from the world means further cultural and technological degradation of our country in the complete absence of positive prospects. War with Ukraine is a step to nowhere.

It is bitter for us to realize that our country, which made a decisive contribution to the victory over Nazism, has now become the instigator of a new war on the European continent. We demand an immediate halt to all military operations directed against Ukraine. We demand respect for the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Ukrainian state. We demand peace for our countries. Let's do science, not war.

(Many signatories to the above statement then follow)
davidBAM1

Post by davidBAM1 »

Natalia Makarova wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:48 pm "An open letter from scientists and scientific journalists against the war in Ukraine"
That is a great letter
Cougarpelardou

Post by Cougarpelardou »

I am basic. I pay for my electricity, I pay for my PCs, so I will no longer crunch on Russian projects and I will stay in the Ukraine team. Everyone has to make their own choices.

Sorry for my English
:jap:
Chooka

Post by Chooka »

Rakesearch is the only Russian project that I'm aware of.
I don't crunch any Russian projects to the best of my knowledge.
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Chooka wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:11 pm Rakesearch is the only Russian project that I'm aware of.
I don't crunch any Russian projects to the best of my knowledge.
I believe that the following projects are Russian:

Gerasim
ODLK
ODLK1 (aka LatinSquares)

You are free to choose whichever project(s) you want...but many Russian scientists have signed a declaration that they are against the "invasion" of Ukraine, (or "special military operation" as "the soon-to-be-put on-trial-for-atrocities-against-humanity" Putin calls it...).

So, I doubt that ignoring these projects will do any good...BUT, I can see that if every BOINC member stops crunching for them, it'll send a strong message to the Russian people (and scientists) that they must get rid of Putin.

regards
Tim
Cougarpelardou

Post by Cougarpelardou »

Gerasim > Today 76 active crunchers 38 are russian
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Cougarpelardou wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:46 pm Gerasim > Today 76 active crunchers 38 are russian
Hi

And just as interesting is that since 19th March 2022, the number of active members of Gerasim has dropped every day.

gerasim-active-users-22-03-26.jpg
gerasim-active-users-22-03-26.jpg (124.93 KiB) Viewed 920 times

Many people might now be avoiding the Russian projects (and maybe from many countries, including Ukraine?)

regards
Tim
vaughan

Post by vaughan »

Tim,

It would be interesting to see a similar graph for all the Russia-based projects to see if they have been affected by the community's feelings.

Vaughan