Sprints for 2022

A place to have discussions about the 2022 season of Formula BOINC
[H]pututu

Re: Sprints for 2022

Post by [H]pututu »

PecosRiverM wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:56 am Where are the allegations? I see only observations.
:?
This observation is not 100% accurate. Team Ukraine composition for example in Einstein@home https://stats.free-dc.org/team/eah/22 project is composed of members originally from from P3D, UKBT, USA, etc, not just TAAT, XS and [H].

Just my two cents. ;)
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Icecold-TAAT wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:38 am
:lol: Timbo where is your no strikes policy against allegations?
Hi Icecold

I do not see any "accusations" here...perhaps my command of the English language is a little better than average (as I've been practising it for many years).

All I see is conjecture, which is quite different. And the English language (like many others) can easily be mis-translated by non-nationals, to infer a different meaning to what has actually been said.

eg: There is a difference between "you ARE a bad driver" compared to "you SEEM to be a bad driver" - the former is an allegation (as no proof has been stated to back up the statement) while the latter is just an opinion.

Of course if I said "you are a bad driver because you wrecked someones car", there is now a statement of fact to support this.

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

OK, so a quick heads up.

A member has decided to spew yet more fuel onto the fire about events from last year and earlier this year and the member has decided to post their last message here.

Sadly, the content of the post went against the rules, so the post has been removed (not deleted) and their account has now been deactivated.

If members want to continue making rash statements designed to irritate other members, then please note that I will act accordingly.

This forum WILL be a place for rational people to make sensible comments...

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

The randomly chosen project for the 18th Sprint is "YoYo@home".

When I checked (before the Sprint started), the project "Server status" showed a good quantity of available tasks :-) And YoYo has advised he will do his best to ensure tasks continue to be available during the Sprint.

https://www.rechenkraft.net/yoyo/server_status.php

Good luck everyone !

regards
Tim
megacruncher

Post by megacruncher »

Thanks Tim,
Yet another sprint off to a successful start.
I feared for the future of FB earlier in the year. I’m much more hopeful now!
We’ve a nice close two horse race this time!
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

megacruncher wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:53 pm Thanks Tim,
Yet another sprint off to a successful start.
I feared for the future of FB earlier in the year. I’m much more hopeful now!
We’ve a nice close two horse race this time!
Hi mega

Yup - it's all looking good for the Sprint season...it just needed some "micro-managing" to keep the wheels on the bus...

IMHO, it was just about:

* Messaging the project admins in advance, to make sure they can cope with an increase in demand and of course to ensure they will have tasks available during the Sprint event.

* Use a random method of choosing a project but which was "monitored" (to ensure that one project was NOT chosen two or three times in a row).

* And for the chosen project to be announced at the right time and added to the stats collection process on the website (which Sebastien had already "hard coded" the basic generic scripts beforehand and which has been working perfectly).

As it stands, I am hopeful that Sebastien will refresh the Marathon and Sprint Challenges next year and despite the higher energy bills that most are facing, that the various projects will continue to benefit from the FB members involvement.

regards
Tim
entity

Post by entity »

I'm new to FB and the only thing that dismotivates me is the fact I can't get enough work to fill all the threads in the machine. My server has been running 75% and under since the start of the sprint. I only get one WU every 5 minutes and they are ending faster than I can get work. At this moment the server is running 37% utilized. Looking at the server status shows ~20,000 WUs ready to be sent but I only get 1 every 5 minutes. I'm not looking to create any kind of queue just fully utilize the capabilities of the server. I wish the project would help me help them.
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

entity wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:14 pm I'm new to FB and the only thing that dismotivates me is the fact I can't get enough work to fill all the threads in the machine. My server has been running 75% and under since the start of the sprint. I only get one WU every 5 minutes and they are ending faster than I can get work. At this moment the server is running 37% utilized. Looking at the server status shows ~20,000 WUs ready to be sent but I only get 1 every 5 minutes. I'm not looking to create any kind of queue just fully utilize the capabilities of the server. I wish the project would help me help them.
Hi

I can offer some feedback and hope others can fill in some details or add extra info.

As you know, BOINC has been around a long time and in this timeframe, hardware functionality has increased dramatically, and as you are aware, BOINC has not exactly kept up with the number of cores that Intel/AMD now feature on their higher end CPUs - and GPUs have also improved massively in terms of core count and processing speed.

The other issue is that within the "workings" of BOINC Manager are some quite complicated "calculations" that are carried out over time as you add new projects...and essentially, when you join a project, BOINC limits how many tasks you can initially download into your cache (or bunker), until you have returned a good number of completed tasks. This is a basic "safety net" for the projects so that a new "rogue host machine" cannot deplete the server of a large number of tasks, which are never completed.

This could be one reason why your host machine is not getting enough work...so you just need to be patient and wait for BOINC Manager to recognise that your host is not a rogue and you are completing tasks and completed work units are being uploaded within the task deadline.

Another issue is that some projects do limit the number of tasks you can download - with some, you can only download a maximum of twice the number of active CPUs you have - so a 16 core CPU host can only download 32 tasks.

Other projects will limit you to a maximum number of tasks for each machine regardless of the number of CPUs...though this can be partially circumvented, as you know.

And finally some projects will have server bandwidth or task creation issues that cannot be avoided and this will limit how many tasks you can download.

So, just hang on in there and let BOINC Manager do it's job and you will get more tasks, albeit with the above caveats !!

regards
Tim
entity

Post by entity »

After spending some time "tweaking" the cache size I able to get a full machine of work. I was trying not to set the cache size too high because I like to return all work downloaded from a project instead of aborting the work at the end of the sprint out of respect for the project admin in supporting the sprint. I had to take a leap of faith and adjust the cache size to a relatively large number (5 days) to get enough work. Luckily this project doesn't send all that work in one request which isn't always the case. I monitored the downloads and stopped the loading once the machine was full of work (all threads active plus a small cache).
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi

Excellent.

Yes, adjusting the cache can obviously help and the other thing to tweak is to choose which of the projects applications to run...as for this Sprint, YoYo has a number of applications that vary in "estimated compute time", so selecting the tasks that take more time will ensure your host is kept active and will reduce the strain on the project server (dealing with requests to provide more tasks) as well as limiting how many tasks are in your cache...so you need fewer "on hand" (whereas shorter tasks could mean you run out faster !!).

regards
Tim