Sprints for 2022

A place to have discussions about the 2022 season of Formula BOINC
JeromeC

Re: Sprints for 2022

Post by JeromeC »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:57 am Hi all

I have made contact with the Project Admin at the selected project for Sprint #16, and I await confirmation that their server will be able to cope with the expected high number of task downloads once the Sprint starts.

regards
Tim
Hail to the Formula Boinc ! Long live Tim ! ;)
entity

Post by entity »

Is there going to be a sprint for 09/22/2022? I haven't seen the project announced or cancelled.
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

entity wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:12 pm Is there going to be a sprint for 09/22/2022? I haven't seen the project announced or cancelled.
Hi

Yes, a Sprint *will* start at 8pm UTC tonight.

And the chosen project will be announced at the same time.

https://formula-boinc.org/sprint_v2.py? ... en&sprint=

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

I have made contact with the Project Admin at the selected project for Sprint #17, and I await confirmation that their server will be able to cope with the expected high number of task downloads once the Sprint starts.

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

The randomly chosen project for the 16th Sprint is "Einstein@home".

This was also chosen earlier this season, but as you know, every project name goes into the hat, so it is entirely possible that one (or more) projects could be randomly chosen more than once during this season of Sprints.

And when I checked (before the Sprint started), the project "Server status" showed an abundance of available tasks :-) So, this bodes well for yet another successful Sprint. :D :D :D :D

https://einsteinathome.org/server_status.php

Good luck everyone !

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:04 pm Hi all

The randomly chosen project for the 16th Sprint is "Einstein@home".
Hi all

I had a nice message from Oliver Behnke, one of the Einstein@home admins, which I thought I would post here:
Hi Tim,

I just wanted to quickly say THANK YOU to you, the team and all participants for choosing E@H as a sprint partner (and for the heads-up). From our point of view the sprint went smoothly and we appreciate the boost to our scientific goals. Feel free to contact Bernd or me for any upcoming events.

Nice one,
Oliver
I am sure that everyone who contributed to the last Sprint will now feel a nice warm glow inside that the project appreciated our combined efforts. :D

So, well done everyone !!

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

The randomly chosen project for the 17th Sprint is "Moo! Wrapper".

This was also chosen earlier this season, (17th-20th June), but that Sprint was cancelled. :-(

And when I checked (before the Sprint started), the project "Server status" showed that tasks were available :-) I just hope they ahve enough for us (it hasn't been a problem on previous Sprints)

https://moowrap.net/server_status.php

Good luck everyone !

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

I have made contact with the Project Admin at the selected project for Sprint #18, and I await confirmation that their server will be able to cope with the expected high number of task downloads once the Sprint starts.

regards
Tim
entity

Post by entity »

Starting to get idle threads at 13:33 UTC. Server status shows tasks available but not getting any downloads. "No tasks sent"

128 thread machine can only get about 8 hours of work before hitting the 1000 WU limit in the client. Since FB is only 3 days, not worth looking into multiple clients.
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

entity wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:34 pm Starting to get idle threads at 13:33 UTC. Server status shows tasks available but not getting any downloads. "No tasks sent"

128 thread machine can only get about 8 hours of work before hitting the 1000 WU limit in the client. Since FB is only 3 days, not worth looking into multiple clients.
Hi

Thanks for the report.

The project was given advance warning that they had been selected so, it is up to them to either support the Sprint, by ensuring more tasks are available, or they leave it as it is, in which case it boils down to "supply and demand" and how quickly new tasks are made available for members to download.

I'm not sure if the 1000 WU limit is for the "account" or for each host...so with 3 hosts, you might only have 1000 tasks shared across the 3 machines or you might get 3000 (in total).

But at least you have 8 hours worth of tasks in your cache !!

The current server status report on Moo! Wrapper shows:

Code: Select all

Work			Total	Tiny	Small	Normal	Huge
Tasks ready to send	2351	9	239	246	1857
Task data as of 30 Sep 2022, 13:58:50 UTC

regards
Tim