A place to have discussions about the 2022 season of Formula BOINC
Cougarpelardou

FB 2022 Three months Marathon

Post by Cougarpelardou »

Good luck to everyone. Happy new year 2022 :jap:
Cougarpelardou

Re: FB 2022 Three months Marathon

Post by Cougarpelardou »

A question. Today there are 24 teams registered in FormulaBoinc.
At the end of March, how many will go to division 1, how many to division 2?
I prefer to be the first in division 2 than the last in division 1. :lol: :roll:
davidBAM1

Post by davidBAM1 »

Are the marathon points zeroed when the separate divisions are formed - or are the Jan 1st starting counts used throughout?
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

davidBAM1 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:25 am Are the marathon points zeroed when the separate divisions are formed - or are the Jan 1st starting counts used throughout?
Hi David

I don't know the answer to this, but this is my guess:

I would think that ALL Marathon points will be awarded based on the "live" credits that are displayed on the FB website at any one time..and that would mean they would all be based on the starting credits at the start of the year.

So, this means that:

For the first few months (until League 2 is "initiated", if it ever is...!), Marathon points are only awarded to the Top 10 teams in each project (as is "normal") in League 1.

Once League 2 is created, some teams would drop down to this League. And they would then "lose" any Marathon points gained from being in League 1....but the chances are, *IF* they had ANY Marathon points already, (by being in the Top 10 for any specific project, and before they dropped down), that would still mean that they had earned a large number of BOINC Credits, so being in League 2, their BOINC credits would make them a "high ranking" team in League 2...and they would probably be awarded MORE FB Marathon points as a result.

So, as an example (using "made up" names):

Say "Team Nautilus" was in 5th position and had earned 10 Marathon points on "Project Darwin" whilst in League 1 - but they didn't win any other Marathon points and were "relegated" to League 2...by definition, if no other "Marathon points scoring" team on Project Darwin was relegated, then Team Nautilus would now be on 25 Marathon points and would be "top" of the Project Darwin project stats for a League 2 team.

And similarly, the League 1 team in 6th position originally on Project Darwin, after Team Nautilus was relegated, would now move up to 5th place (as a League 1 team) and have 10 points instead of 8.

So, I don't think this is an issue....and I don't think anyone would lose out, if/when the Leagues are "split".

But I will wait for Sebastien to offer his view on this...so don't take my "opinion" as "gospel".

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Cougarpelardou wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:32 am A question. Today there are 24 teams registered in FormulaBoinc.
I prefer to be the first in division 2 than the last in division 1. :lol: :roll:
Hi

I do not know the answer to this, but this is my presumption:

I would assume that the "split" will result in 25 teams in League 1, with the remainder in League 2. If League 2 then has more than 25 teams, then League 3 will be started.

Once the split has happened it will stay that way until the end of the year.

So, if you *really* want your team to be first in division 2, your best option is for your team to not score ANY FB points until the leagues are split - and that assumes that this *will* happen, as currently only 24 teams have registered + plus 3 more to be "confirmed".

League 1 therefore might stay with 27 teams for the entire year ? (As there is no point having a League 2 with 2 teams !!)

regards
Tim
davidBAM1

Post by davidBAM1 »

I would suggest 10 teams in League 1 with remainder in League 2. This will mean TSBT get 1 point in the Rosetta Marathon ;) but - more importantly a much more interesting tournament for smaller teams (which I thought was the main point)
UBT - Timbo
Site Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

davidBAM1 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:10 am I would suggest 10 teams in League 1 with remainder in League 2. This will mean TSBT get 1 point in the Rosetta Marathon ;) but - more importantly a much more interesting tournament for smaller teams (which I thought was the main point)
Hi David

I think how the League is split (and into how many teams in each) will depend on a number of factors:

1) Will enough teams register to make it worthwhile to split the initial League?

2) Will team registration remain open AFTER the League is split, allowing more teams to join up afterwards?

3) If teams are allowed to register after the split, which league will they be put in?

4) Assuming no promotion/relegation during the season, how to ensure that the split leagues have a similar number of teams in each?

5) Or maybe promotion/relegation DOES occur during the season and team "placings" are dynamic and based on total credits earned, so that teams with higher RACs could move into a higher league - that might spice things up a bit ! Though I guess it would then mean that more teams would crunch Collatz, as that project gives the highest "return" of credits and then other "worthy" projects would not be crunched so much (except during Sprints).

6) Having 10 teams in each League means that EVERY team would earn Marathon points in League 1...this could be both good and bad...good in that each team gets some reward for their efforts and bad in that some teams may concentrate their crunching on 2 or 3 projects, thereby earning more Marathon points across these projects whereas other teams might have their crunching spread across multiple projects and hence will earn fewer Marathon points. (ie one team could focus on being top in 3 projects and earning at least 75 FB points, while other teams could spread their efforts and only earn between 1 and (say) 10 FB points across 20+ projects...

I think, nearer the time, Sebastien should set some "rules" for how all the options will be, prior to any "league split" taking place.

regards
Tim
Cougarpelardou

Post by Cougarpelardou »

Thx Tim ... :jap:

The tactics to follow will not be the same depending on how the divisions will be shared. :?:
marsinp

Post by marsinp »

Cougarpelardou wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:32 am A question. Today there are 24 teams registered in FormulaBoinc.

Hello Cougarpelardou,
I have the same meaning as you. My (little) team and me thinks also the same.
In new situation, only the "'monsters" teams are present, also a few less powerfull.
But it are the new rules. So, let us see after one or twoo months, how it evoluate.
Best regards
marsinp

Post by marsinp »

Hello everyone,
The system of FB changed. I understand the reasons.
Some reflexions :
1. After more than twoo weeks , only 25 team registered. From the about 70 teams in the past. It show few interest.
2. Only the very concerned answered "present" ; Once again, all other shows few interest on FB
3. The most powerfull teams are present. (Coming from all leagues). So the actual system, change all in ranking.
4. Let us evaluate the new system. I am very accurate in total "power" of my little team. Now,n it is complicated, but fair
5. Very few teams. Then let us "fight" between us, in one league. I prefer to be the first in second league tha latest in first. But it is psychological approach.
6. To complete point 5 : the most important is that we contribute to research.
7. Pitty to see less and less interest in FB from many teams. All the fabulous work from FB's admin, the latest years, are not rewarded.
8. Some PRJ need to be removed : the one who are unable to make sync, unable to produce WU, PRJ who refuse new users... I will not write the name. (TIM, you know why) !!!
Happy crunch to everyone.
Best regards