2010: CAS not granted yet

Sysadm@Nbg

2010: CAS not granted yet

Post by Sysadm@Nbg »

Hello

I wonder why FB-points are not granted yet to CAS@home :?:

I think there is a bug in computing "reached credits" in 2010.
Due to the anouncement on the official website of CAS@home ...
The project was officially launched in January 2010, with the support of the Chinese Academy of Sciences. A BOINC server was established at IHEP during the first quarter of 2010.
(taken from CAS@home)
... there must be the 2009 values "0".
On FB-Website http://formula-boinc.org/projets.py?lan ... &year=2010 there are high credits listed for 2009. But in 2009 project does not exist.

So - in my honest opinion - you have to compute reached credits 2010 on base "2009: credits = 0" and have to grant FB-points for the project, according to the rules of FormulaBoinc.

Thanks for your further investigations
Sysadm@Nbg
Sysadm@Nbg
Member of Team SETI.Germany
sebastien
Steering committee

Re: 2010: CAS not granted yet

Post by sebastien »

Hello,

CAS@home was added 1st october.
Only credits granted after this date will be used to calculate the FB-points.
Sysadm@Nbg

Post by Sysadm@Nbg »

This behaviour might be a weakness in the rules.
You push a project, so it make it into the Formula - but your "investment" is not appreciated. :(
Sysadm@Nbg
sebastien
Steering committee

Post by sebastien »

All teams start to 0 when project is added.
For me, it seems to be more fair.

I open a new thread about rules in 2011.
Sysadm@Nbg

Post by Sysadm@Nbg »

Indeed all start on same level, but
... mayby nobody will make the initial 3 Million credits to bring the project to Formula, when he earned nothing but famous.
For smaller projects it will last years until they get into Forumla, if there is nobody who push the project to 3 Million ...

... they who lean back and relax, until the first 3 Million are reached, and then focus on the projetc, when it will be in Formula, invest 1 credit - and they who pushed it before , invest 3 Milllion and at last the 1 credit is more worth than the 3 Million ????
Sysadm@Nbg
sebastien
Steering committee

Post by sebastien »

I think solution is adding project in the race quickly

Next year, we could add projects every month.
Instead of checking the account creation before project addition, we could also check this after.
darealgh

Post by darealgh »

The rules look unclear as they are stating :

To receive any points for a project, the project must have awarded at least 3,000,000 credits in the year.
The reference, at least to know whether or not a project will be granting FB points, seems to be the beginning of the year, not the integration date.

Moreover, during the discussions about 2010 rules here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7&sid=4c2fa35a83493 ... 44fd604cd1 the words"or since it integration if project is added during the year" was removed at the very last moment making things more confusing.
I don't know what can be done for this year nor what may be the technical implications of the different options but it would be better to clarify this at least for 2011.

Projects are added to FB only after they have awarded at least 1M credits ( it's 1M not 3M as below). The point is to know whether this initial million of credits is lost for FB ranking or if the part generated during the current year should be taken into account when the project is integrated.

Not taking into account the credits generated before the integration, as highlighted by Sysadm, discourages crunching on projects that are not yet integrated and the ones who contributed having it integrated may feel frustrated to see the benefit of their efforts going to other teams who started crunching only after the integration.

Taking them into account will probably make things more difficult to the admins as it probably implies keeping statistics on all running projects and not only on the ones above 1M .
Above all, this also encourages teams crunching on small projects not yet integrated with ther risk of big movements on and them and the associated risks of wus shortage and servers unstability which may really hurt the less mature ones.
This is in contradiction with FB willing to let the admins of the alpha projects choose whether or not they want to participate to the FB race before integrating them.

Whatever is chosen, better to clarify the rule in the presentation page to avoid misunderstandings and frustration.
sebastien
Steering committee

Post by sebastien »

As the rules seems unclear, the FB ranking will be calculated like last year, ie on the basis of credits accrued during the year.
I will correct the ranking for projects added during the year (CAS@home, DNETC, eOn, Primaboinca, QuantumFire and the dDM-project)

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Mankka*

Post by Mankka* »

Thank you sebastien !

As we all can read in previous messages this is the only right thing to do !!!

Because all of us crunchers have done a woderful work with helping the smaller projects out to get started despite bad credits for done work.

And I personally think this is a GREAT idea to run a competition like this, because it will really benefits small projects.
But if you suddenly take the hard earned credits away when the project hits the limit... it's just not fair !!!

I can ensure you that I'm really not the only cruncher who is climbing the walls atm.

The limit when a project is accepted in FB should be fair and realistic to achieve during the year, which I think it is, but all credits crunched during the year
should counted, so please don't change that rule ever !!!

Sorry, no hard feelings meant, but I and many other ones just got really upset about this issue.

Keep up the good work with Formula-Boinc so we all can have an exciting and hard, but fair, competition going on !

Sincerely yours

Mankka*