Sprints organisation

sebastien
Steering comitee

Sprints organisation

Post by sebastien »

This year, there will be no more votes to choose projects.
I propose to create a committee that will choose the projects and contact the project administrators before the sprint starts.
This committee should consist of 3 to 5 members.
Please post here if you want to participate to this committee.
UBT - Timbo

Re: Sprints organisation

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Sebastien

As an original Classic SETI@home member (joined 3rd April 1999), as founder of the UK BOINC Team (the UK #1 team), as long term supporter of every BOINC project and as a long term administrator of many forum and Facebook groups, I am willing to offer my unbiased services to the Committee.

I am also founder of many of our Teams on various projects and therefore I cannot switch teams as a mercenary just because I want to assist another team (and this practice can cause issues with final results being "interfered with" during said Sprints by members switching teams and skewing the final totals).

I am also very good at negotiating and leadership.

regards and stay safe
Tim
sebastien
Steering comitee

Post by sebastien »

Hello tim, I accept your application.
By the end of the year, I will be creating a private forum where committee members can discuss. The first sprint will take place in March. As a first step, the committee will have to define the terms of the sprints:
- Can a project be chosen several times a year.
- Will the projects be different for each league?
UBT - Timbo

Post by UBT - Timbo »

sebastien wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:44 pm Hello tim, I accept your application.
Hi Sebastien

Thanks for the message and for accepting my proposal to help you for the good of Formula BOINC and also the benefit to the teams and participants who like the Challenges that are to take place.
sebastien wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:44 pm By the end of the year, I will be creating a private forum where committee members can discuss. The first sprint will take place in March. As a first step, the committee will have to define the terms of the sprints:
Sounds like a good step to take.

I will monitor the forum and will respond accordingly, once family activities at Christmas time are over.

best wishes and hope you have great Christmas
Tim
biodoc

Post by biodoc »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:14 pm I am also founder of many of our Teams on various projects and therefore I cannot switch teams as a mercenary just because I want to assist another team
Hi Tim,
You are currently helping out TSBT on the PrimeGrid project in an attempt to retake 1st place in the FB marathon. Let's face it, team switching is a common practice in the FB sprints and marathons. There's no rule against it and if there was it would be very difficult and time consuming to enforce.
Mark
UBT - Timbo

Post by UBT - Timbo »

biodoc wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:35 am Hi Tim,
You are currently helping out TSBT on the PrimeGrid project in an attempt to retake 1st place in the FB marathon. Let's face it, team switching is a common practice in the FB sprints and marathons. There's no rule against it and if there was it would be very difficult and time consuming to enforce.
Mark
Hi Mark

Well spotted. :-)

Personally speaking, I'm against team switching...and if it could be "programmed" in a sensible way, I would prefer a SETI.Germany "Pentathlon" approach, where individuals register for a specific team, before any Challenge starts. This could then produce a more level playing field AND it would prevent teams such as Gridcoin from winning most Sprints, just due to their number of members, most of whom know nothing about FB !!

But, as you say, for FB at present, a few people are switching teams in order to affect the outcome of the League One Marathon. And as the rules allow this, my meagre 2 days worth of credits output is being attributed to a fellow UK team and it helps bring a bit of excitement to the last day or two of the FB Season...

And we both know that in recent Sprints a bunker drop in the last few hours of various Sprints has transformed what was perhaps a lack lustre few days, where it was almost expected that certain teams would always finish in the same order.

regards and stay safe
Tim
crashtech

Post by crashtech »

sebastien wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:44 pm Hello tim, I accept your application.
By the end of the year, I will be creating a private forum where committee members can discuss. The first sprint will take place in March. As a first step, the committee will have to define the terms of the sprints:
Hi sebastien,
I'm not posting to apply for a position, only to implore you to be very careful in regard to your selection of committee members. It should be obvious that it will be difficult for any given member to simultaneously uphold the integrity of Formula BOINC while also pursuing personal goals. This is illustrated perfectly clearly in this thread, for your lone accepted applicant flatly stated he could not switch teams, then proceeded to do exactly that.

It's not the team switching that bothers me so much as knowing there will be someone in a leadership position that did not live up to their word. Not just an offhand word, either, but in a post asking for a position of authority.

@Timbo, I'm sure you are a nice enough fellow, but I hope you can take a moment to see how your actions look from an outside perspective.
UBT - Timbo

Post by UBT - Timbo »

crashtech wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:35 pm
Hi sebastien,
I'm not posting to apply for a position, only to implore you to be very careful in regard to your selection of committee members. It should be obvious that it will be difficult for any given member to simultaneously uphold the integrity of Formula BOINC while also pursuing personal goals. This is illustrated perfectly clearly in this thread, for your lone accepted applicant flatly stated he could not switch teams, then proceeded to do exactly that.

It's not the team switching that bothers me so much as knowing there will be someone in a leadership position that did not live up to their word. Not just an offhand word, either, but in a post asking for a position of authority.

@Timbo, I'm sure you are a nice enough fellow, but I hope you can take a moment to see how your actions look from an outside perspective.
Hi

Oh dearie me...some people do get their knickers in a twist !!

I have stated that I am personally against switching teams...

And as a "Founder" on many projects going back to the beginning of BOINC, I am unable to switch teams, else I'll lose the "foundersihp" status of any specific project...and that really isn't an acceptable thing to do, as it would leave the team I founded, slightly rudderless and the team on each project could get taken over by nefarious people.

But everyone has free choice as to which team they want to join - and I have no reason to be upset if any UBT members decide to contribute to any other team for whatever reason. The same thing applies to anyone else...it's their hardware, their electric bills paying for it and so they can do whatever they want.

And you forget one thing: FB is about being competitive, helping the projects achieve their aims more quickly, and by every one having a bit of FUN in the process.

And I quite like the idea that going down to the wire, 2 teams are fighting it out for 3rd place....so why not have some fun...and the best thing is that
the PROJECTS win...by everyone chucking their resources at specific projects.

I'm at work right now, so I will come back to this...but people getting upset is not MY problem...and as far as my integrity goes, it is intact and still relevant...and I work in an industry where Non-Disclosure Agreements are the norm...and I have no issue signing one as far as any involvement I might have "behind the scenes" on Formula BOINC.

EDIT:

As far as "personal goals" - I don't have any - I have generated over 140 billion credits on BOINC, I'm the UK #2 member and I have no way of catching the UK #1 member, unless I live to be 100+ years old and earn so much money I can buy up every single GTX3090 in the world and have a nice deal with an electricity supplier so I can power them all up and keep myself warm in the winter from all the crunching ;-)

As far as "authority" goes, I do not know what the terms of the position are, and perhaps nor do you...but I would assume it is simply a way of selecting specific projects for each Sprint, from an already defined list and a set of parameters that Sebastien has already outlined above, via a "knowledgeable" panel of people. I know of no other specification of the role at present...and I would assume that Sebastien would be the "chairman" of the committee and he would have the final say (and quite rightly so).

And as for impartiality - I don't think anyone has questioned Sebastien and his links to L'AF. So feel free to PM any of our active UBT membership and ask them their opinion of me...and you may find that I am fair, loyal and trustworthy - but I also want to inspire people to join BOINC and to do something useful with their expensive hardware...and having competitive challenges like FB is a good way to stimulate people to join in...and having some rivalries between teams is a great incentive.

As to whether me switching teams to TSBT on ONE project for 2 days is going to make any difference at all? I very much doubt it...but it'll be FUN to see who supports TAAT and who supports TSBT...and which one earn the 3rd place on the Marathon, after what has been a most difficult and worrying year for everyone (due to Covid-19). So let's end on a high and let's see who gets the 3rd place... :-)

PS: I have to blow my own trumpet here in that I have created a Team of members who, prior to the GDPR restrictions implemented by some projects, had over 6,000 members...though this has now reduced (thanks to CPDN, Einstein and others who now only export stats for those who agree to GDPR rules) to just over 4,400 - we are certainly one of the largest BOINC Teams, but like many, we are seeing significantly fewer members continuing with BOINC, in the longer term...and something needs to be done to correct this - hopefully I can assist FB and we can make it a Challenge that will encourage more members to become active in it.

regards and stay safe
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JTFranklin

Post by JTFranklin »

I'd like to apply as well.

I swear I hate when members/teams switch. We at TeAm AnandTech never do it, only others do it and we like to we say that on our and other Forums like we are righteous and sit on our high horse while accusing others as we are blatantly doing it ourselves..

Well, until I recently when I obviously created an account on the SETI.Germany team so that me and my teammates from TeAm AnandTech (and probably some help from [H]ard|OCP), possibly others).

You see, we are on a mission pretending to hide behind the current PrimeGrid Great Conjunction Challenge (GFN only) by running only PPS-Sieve in order to knock and keep The Scottish BOINC Team out of 1st Place for the Formula BOINC Marathon. I'm even using some corporate servers so we win...hope the company doesn't notice.

So please consider me as an impartial member of this organization. I promise to only tell members from TeAm AnandTech (and possibly a few others we collude with) in order to be sportsman-like. After all, this is what Formula BOINC is all about.

Most Sincerely,

JTFranklin -- Proud member of TeAm AnandTech
Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel »

removed
Last edited by Dark Angel on Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.