Projects list

sebastien
Steering comitee

Projects list

Post by sebastien »

This year, there will be no more vote to choose projects.
Here is a suggested list:

Kept projects:
Amicable Numbers
Asteroids@home
Collatz Conjecture
Cosmology@home
Einstein@home
Gerasim@home
GPUGrid
LHC@home 1.0
Milkyway@home
Moo! Wrapper
NFS@home
NumberFields@home
ODLK
ODLK1
PrimeGrid
QuChemPedIA@home
RakeSearch
Rosetta@home
SRBase
TN-Grid
Universe@Home
Wanless Mersenne +2
World Community Grid
Yafu
Yoyo@home

Removed projects:
Enigma@home
Seti@home
T.Brada Experiment Grid

New projects
Gaia@home
iThena
MLC@home
PRIVATE GFN SERVER
SiDock@home
ubt - mikee

Re: Projects list

Post by ubt - mikee »

Hi

Thanks for the update.

Not sure ithena should be included - you can only download 1 at a time with a 4 minute delay between units, doesn't use CPU or GPU - (non intensive application).

Primegrids PRIVATE GFN SERVER is supposed to be 'hidden' - not sure they want sudden bursts of demand or that people to know about it.

Gaia - a limit of 1 task per 1 core without queuing and no windows app.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Sebastien

Thanks for the list of projects.

Can you confirm that each of the "selected" projects have actually confirmed that they want to participate in the 2021 "season"?

We already know that ODLK, ODLK1 and Wanless are not really suitable for Sprints due to their limited server capabilities and limited bandwidth so I hope they will be able to manage a high number of requests for tasks over short periods of time...the last time that Wanless was chosen the Sprint was cancelled, leading to much frustration amongst many FB members.

So, it would be nice to think that efforts have been made to ensure that each project can handle the extra "load".

regards
Tim
Bearnol

Post by Bearnol »

Firstly, thanks very much to Formula Boinc for including WEP-M+2 in their “marathon” mechanism, thus encouraging a steady stream of work over the years.
However, this is to confirm, please, that it would NOT be wise to include said project in any “sprint” (at least for the time being)
sebastien
Steering comitee

Post by sebastien »

@Mikey: thanks for your feedback. I edited first post.

@Timbo: this list is for the marathon. For the sprints, a committee will choose project and contact project administrator before sprint starts.

@Bearnol; thanks for your feedback. Choosing your project for a sprint was a error. I apologize for that.
Skivelitis2

Post by Skivelitis2 »

Has any consideration been given to adding Minecraft?
Also, Wanless has been Linux only for years and has been included. Is it the one one task per thread limitation that is preventing Gaia from inclusion?
Great to see this competition continuing for 2021!!
Fardringle

Post by Fardringle »

Minecraft, so far, has had VERY intermittent work availability, and the tasks that are made available are usually gone in a very short time. Not ideal for a Formula BOINC "race" project...

While the task limit in Gaia does prevent bunkering ahead of time for a sprint, some might say that is a positive thing. The two things that for me make it not ideal as a marathon or sprint project are: 1) there aren't any checkpoints so if the tasks are interrupted in any way during the ~5 hour processing, they start over from the beginning again, and 2) lately the points rewarded for the tasks have been EXTREMELY low, often earning only 8 credits for those 5 hour tasks. The server does seem stable, so resolving those two issues could make it a viable option in the future.
Stiwi

Post by Stiwi »

Bearnol wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:50 am Firstly, thanks very much to Formula Boinc for including WEP-M+2 in their “marathon” mechanism, thus encouraging a steady stream of work over the years.
However, this is to confirm, please, that it would NOT be wise to include said project in any “sprint” (at least for the time being)
Is the project stable enough to handle the marathon?
I mean if two or more teams with some monsters with 64C/128T will fighting for the marathon points its like a sprint.
If not i prefer to remove WEP-M+2
Fardringle

Post by Fardringle »

Stiwi wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:57 am
Bearnol wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:50 am Firstly, thanks very much to Formula Boinc for including WEP-M+2 in their “marathon” mechanism, thus encouraging a steady stream of work over the years.
Is the project stable enough to handle the marathon?
I mean if two or more teams with some monsters with 64C/128T will fighting for the marathon points its like a sprint.
If not i prefer to remove WEP-M+2
The Wanless/WEP-M+2 server cannot handle the sudden load of an all out sprint, but it was able to handle around 1 million points per day steadily recently without any apparent problems (that's about 1000-1200 active CPU cores) and was very nearly able to handle over 2 million points per day for a couple of days earlier this week. Since the project rarely sees anywhere near that much traffic on a normal basis, it isn't normally a concern. Bearnol (the project admin) has said he'd like to keep daily load around 800K points or less, but we've seen that it can handle more than that.
Stiwi

Post by Stiwi »

Ok I just wanted to ask, because for example at Numberfields we saw such internal fights in the last few days.
Normally it has 2-4kk points per day then some teams wanted to get more points at the marathon. It went up to more than 15kk points at one day.
https://www.boincstats.com/stats/122/pr ... l/lastDays

So have fun at the formula boinc 2021 :)